A wise red person once said, "There is only one way to get good, and it's not by sitting on your hands."
I'll admit it: I'm afraid of you. You, my gentle, loving friend-readers. Who I courted and bugged to read my betterblog. I think you are judging me, and it's easier to forgive myself for failing. I've skipped weeks of blogging, scratched all sorts of bite chains, and even eaten out once. I'm terrible. Despicable. A failure.
However, I'm not sure you can stay mad at me when you see this:
Here's the Story
Every Monday, I gather with a motley grouping of my friends for Martini Mondays at Jimmy's on the Park. It's $5 top shelf martinis, with the added benefit of a) my neat-o friends b) weird pasta salt thingys c) $5 belvedere gimlets d) Steve Luther. Same time, same place, every week. For those of you who know me, I like scheduling things... especially my life.
Long story short: I'm a sucker for sad animals. Two weeks ago, this tiny, 5-pound kitty let me pet her, and when I picked her up she purred, and... well, you know where this goes. The very same cat is now sleeping upside-down on the cowboy bed with both paws over her eyes. She's gained two pounds and has no bad habits, save randomly licking feet. She may be an expensive little bugger (shots, boosters, chip, spay, supplies), but she's family now. Her anesthesia today led to quite an amusing evening, but we're doing fine and she's resting comfortably. All BeBetter projects this month pale in comparison to this addition to my life. We are each other's BeBetter project: I will fatten her up and give her a home, while she will humor me when I try to teach her to fetch. Happiness abounds.
1. I have been a very good friend lately to the ones who need me. If you disagree, ask me for help-- I likely don't think you need it. I feel very strongly (although I can't explain other people's business here) that I've been going above and beyond for the people that need me lately, and that feels good.
2. I met my brother's girlfriend and managed to a) be very nice b) not be really awkward c) not be overly protective. It helps that she's wonderful, genuine, and a sweetie.
3. I had people over for dinner on a weeknight and made successful lasagna and bean salad. I hope to have more gatherings chez moi in the future.
4. I have only eaten out once this month. This is a very big deal.
5. I spent time narrowing down my list of grad schools.
6. I drafted a very long post that I will re-write tomorrow.
7. I have been working out more this month than most other months.
8. Donated money to the following: Humane Society, Race for the Cure, whatever the charity was at the bank.
9. Overtipped. Like always.
10. Tried very hard to let the people I care about know how I feel.
11. FLOSSED EVERY DAY.